Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes national park Rwanda
Gorilla trekking in Volcanoes national park Rwanda; Gorilla trekking is an adventurous activity which involves moving on foot into the jungle in search of the mountain gorillas and once found spend one hour with them in their natural environment. Gorilla trekking in Rwanda is only carried out in Volcanoes national park which is located in the northwestern part bordering with Mgahinga gorilla national park in Uganda and Virunga national park in Democratic Republic of Congo. Volcanoes national park is known for harboring mammals like forest elephants, buffaloes, giant forest hog, bush pigs, primates like the famous mountain gorillas, golden monkeys, chimpanzees, l’hoest monkeys, variety of bird species like handsome francolin, Rwenzori turaco, Archers ground robin and five volcanoes mountains including Mount Bisoke, Mount Muhabura, Mount Gahinga, Mount Sabyinyo and Mount Karisimbi.
Gorilla trekking in Volcanoes national park Rwanda
Volcanoes national park is a home of more than 11 habituated gorilla families which are available for trekking on a daily basis. Gorilla trekking in Volcanoes national park starts early in the morning with a briefing at the park headquarters where after you will be divided into groups of 8 people and allocated a gorilla family to trek. During gorilla trekking which takes about 30 minutes to 5 hours, you will be accompanied by an experienced park guide who will help you to spot different wildlife species like birds, primates, mammals among others. Once the gorillas are found you will be able to spend one hour with them in their environment which helps you to watch them carry out their daily activities like feeding, breastfeeding, playing, learn about their habits and behaviors, take photos and record videos to show people back home after the safari.
Best time to go for gorilla trekking in Volcanoes national park Rwanda
Gorilla trekking in Volcanoes national park can be done anytime throughout the year though the best period is during the dry/ peak season in the months of June, July, August, September, December, January and February. During the dry season gorilla trekking trails will be dry and passable compared to the wet/ low season when the trails are muddy and slippery which make trekking difficult.
Cost of a gorilla trekking permit
A gorilla trekking permit is a document issued by Rwanda development board to any visitor who is above 15 years of age allowing him or her to visit a habituated gorilla family. A gorilla trekking permit in Volcanoes national park costs 1,500 USD per person for all nationalities.
A gorilla trekking permit in Volcanoes national park allows you to spend one hour in the presence of the mountain gorillas and can either be acquired directly through Rwanda Development Board by contacting the office via email or contacting trusted tour operator like Achieve global safaris.
Where to stay during your gorilla trekking safari in Volcanoes national park
There are several accommodation facilities in Volcanoes national park where you can stay during your gorilla trekking safari. the accommodation are categorized into 3 types that is budget, midrange and luxury including Da Vinci Gorilla Lodge, Gorillas Volcanoes Hotel, Ruzizi Tented Camp, Kinigi Guest House, Karenge Bush Camp, Villa Gorilla, Garr Hotel, Hotel Muhabura, Best View Hotel, Mountain Gorilla View Lodge, Five Volcanoes Boutique Hotel, Virunga Lodge, Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, La Palme Hotel, Gorillas Nest Lodge, Garden Place Hotel, Le Bamboo Gorilla Lodge, Mountain Gorillas Nest Lodge, Bisate Lodge among others.
What to pack for your gorilla trekking safari in Volcanoes national park Rwanda
- Facemask and sanitizer to protect yourself and the mountain gorillas against the deadly disease COVID-19.
- Hiking shoes to keep your feet dry during trekking in wet grounds
- Long sleeved shirt and trouser to keep you warm during morning hours and protect your skin from scratches.
- Energy snacks like packed food from the lodge and drinking water to keep you hydrated
- Waterproof rain jacket to protect you from rainfall since it can rain anytime of the day regardless of the season.
- Insect repellent to protect your skin from insect bites such as tsetse flies
- Cameras and extra batteries to take photos and record videos during the one hour in the presence of mountain gorillas
- A pair of binoculars to have clear views of gorillas and other wildlife species such as chimpanzees, red tailed monkeys, black and white colobus monkeys, different bird species among others.
- Waterproof backpack to carry your gorilla trekking items such as energy snacks, insect repellent, sanitizer, camera among others.
How to get to Volcanoes national park Rwanda
Volcanoes national park is located in the northwestern part of Rwanda and can be accessed by road transport means whereby you will drive from Kigali international airport to the park headquarters which takes about 2 hours drive.